Saturday, December 22, 2007

SAHD Tales

The Canadian Broadcasting Company has just added podcasts of Richard Scrimger's "Still Life with Children" to its Words at Large series.

Scrimger answers questions about his life a little bit differently, but the basics are that he has biologically authored four children and his "Still Life" is drawn from his life and SAHD times. His other work includes books for kids and adults.

In a recent interview, he explained how being a dad made him as a writer:

I didn't develop work habits as a writer until my children were born. I'd have four hours in front of me for writing, but somehow the coffee wouldn't be hot enough or the pencil wouldn't be sharp enough. I'd sit down, write a sentence and then stroke it out and write another sentence and maybe change the punctuation. I'd get up, walk and scratch my head and write another sentence, and I'd look up and the four hours would be gone. Then I'd go and play tennis or something. When the twins, the first of our four children, were born, suddenly my life had serious focus. The idea of having 40 uninterrupted minutes for writing when the two of them were napping was tremendous. I realized that, if I was going to write, I'd have to write during every spare minute, and that's what I've done from the time the children were born until now.
** A story of a man who gives life to kids who give birth to Dad. **

No comments: