Saturday, March 8, 2008

Fathers With and Against Daughters

Gender matters. It doesn't (wo)mandate results between father and child. But it complicates a father's thinking — he can't just assume he knows his child because OBVIOUSLY boys aren't girls. In general the end results are the same. Sometimes dads and daughters achieve great things together, sometimes they have unknown influences on each other and, very occasionally, they just don't mesh.

In the first category are Bill and Sara McGahan. He's approaching 50 and she's can't legally drive, but, having conquered Mount Kilimanjaro together, they have jointly set their sights on Mount Ranier. "I love my dad," said Sara. "He's really funny and I was glad I took the climb with him." Six or seven others are still to come.

Not that you can blame gender complication, but it is necessary to remember that not all good influences bring positive results. Consider, alas again, Dwayne Johnson (who says he doesn't want to be that cartoon character, The Rock, anymore.) Plugging his latest movie [see: "Rock of Ages"] he explains the effect of his daughter on him, "I was very selfish. I’d only take care of me. It wasn’t until my daughter was born that I realised – and this happens to a lot of us when we have children – what being selfless is all about.” The result is, apparently, going to be bad movies — sort of Schwarzeneggering, moving from action hero to comedic (?) movie fish out of water and then to wherever that might lead a very changed father.

The Yang to Johnson's Yin is former Puteaux (France) mayor Charles Ceccaldi-Raynaud. The 82-year-old is in a contentious election contest with the current mayor, a 58-year-old who accuses him of being senile, mendacious, jealous and misguided. He refers to her, his daughter Joëlle Ceccaldi-Raynaud, of stupidity, wild spending and "psychotic" behaviour. Oh, and they're both under investigation for corruption.

** The McGahans and Johnsons are nice, but I look forward to the DVD of this father-daughter so I can settle down with dinner and Things 1 and 2 for either "teaching moment" or just a bunch of laughs at their expense. **

No comments: